Is Your Spirit Aligned with Your Work?

January 28, 2013

When the good people from The High Calling showed up at my office one day several months ago lugging  their video cameras and equipment, I didn’t quite know what they were going to do with it all. We had scheduled an interview, and once they set up, proceeded to chat about this and that in front of two bulky cameras for perhaps an hour or so. Finally the one guy says, “That’s it! We have what we need.” I couldn’t tell if this was a good or bad thing. They packed up and went home, or on to their next unwitting subject.

Weeks, and then months went by with no word about the mysterious video. I thought for sure that my roundabout blathering was so useless that these video professionals  took one look at the footage, cringed, and quickly threw it in a fire. Honestly, I like writing much better than public speaking. Probably because writing allows for multiple edits and thoughtful reviews before you put it out for public consumption.

In any case, seven months later, a series of three edited videos did indeed suddenly appear onto a YouTube Channel, and are now logged in a library of one-minute video content at The High Calling on topics relating to work and faith. I posted one  of them a couple weeks ago.

So, this snippet here I thought was not too bad. This conversation really does capture my thoughts on the essence of what I believe to be the connection between God and our work: namely that,

1. The purpose of work is to glorify God
  2. All work is good
  3. It’s our responsibility to discover the kind of work that aligns with our unique talents and preferences and allows us to personally connect to #1 and #2.

Enjoy!

1. January 28, 2013 7:43 am

Part of #3 involves being stretched — like doing these public videos in addition to writing! Did you ever notice that #3 tends to make you uncomfortable? So thanks for stepping out, and I look forward to what’s next!

2. January 28, 2013 5:43 pm

once again GREAT VLOG!

3. January 29, 2013 9:06 pm

I think you bring up a valid point about aligning your spirit and natural abilities with your work. Another way to put that is that our created created us for a purpose and designed us with the gifts and abilities to be successful in that purpose. But stepping out of man’s plan, which involves work and marketplace, let’s look at God’s plan. Whatever our work, He has placed us in our business, or job, or work, to be a witness for Jesus where we are at. That through our visible deployment as a believer the lost in our workplace might find Him. This may be viewed as the other side of the coin. His view versus our view. Your thoughts?

• January 30, 2013 5:47 am

I actually don’t think there is another side of the coin. I believe that aligning our work with the marketplace in and of itself is part of God’s plan, not “man’s” plan. Being a shining light just comes with the territory.

4. January 30, 2013 3:18 pm

That was a very well done video.
    I think there’s an element of aligning ourselves to our work. Sometimes this takes the form of us choosing a particular form of work. But I think the more problematic issue is learning to love and appreciate what you’re doing. That’s not easy by any stretch, but that’s where the real power comes in.

5. Dan Black on Leadership permalink
    January 31, 2013 12:23 am

Great thoughts. I totally agree, work no matter where it is can Glorify God and bring Glory to God’s Kingdom. Finding our purpose and talents are so essential when it comes to doing work we enjoy and that brings about the best return on our investment.

6. January 31, 2013 8:20 am

Jim, great stuff as always! The cinematography left me speechless :)

One piece that this reminds me of is Michael Bungay Stanier’s concept of good vs. great work from his book Do More Great Work.

7. February 1, 2013 11:56 am

GREAT responses, Jim. I’m not sure why the process took so long this time. A lot of it depends on the publication line. If they have a bunch of videos like this already, they’ll edit stuff that is a little bit different for awhile. I don’t manage that process, though.

On this particular answer, I love the simplicity and confidence and finality of your opening statement. And I love that you unpack that statement so it isn’t just generic Christian platitude.

8. sherwood8028 permalink
    February 3, 2013 12:28 pm

When I finally, after almost 45 years of being – in church, came to the realization that I was to FOLLOW Christ rather than being led by “man”, my life changed dramatically. I changed from trusting others to trusting in Him in my secular pursuits and discovered a real peace – that truly surpasses understanding, and it has remained for the following 37+ years. I agree with Jim – not we should examine where and what are doing, but ask ourselves, does this follow in His “path”? We too often look ahead and seem to forget to live in this day, in these circumstances.